Sokolow Malopolski New Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish community purchased the land for the new cemetery in 1776, with the first burials likely starting in the mid-19th century. It was established approximately 500m to the north-east of the market square, on flat ground, among fields. Phases of the possible enlargement process are unknown. The cemetery obtained its final area of 0.55 hectares and was shaped as adjoining rectangles. In the interwar period, it was surrounded by a wooden fence, and there were no buildings nor trees. Some tombstones were taken away during World War II. Executions and burials in unmarked mass graves took place at the cemetery. After 1960, a petrol station was built on a small southern part of the area. Around 1970, the area was planted with trees and fenced with a wire mesh. Fragments of tombstones found in the city were returned to the cemetery. There are over 350 tombstones, with many of them placed in their original location. The graves are arranged in regular rows along the east-west axis. Two separate quarters are visible: one for women (including maidens), and one for men (cohanim, Levites, lads and prominent members of the community). The oldest readable tombstone is from 1882, the newest one from 1939. There are traditional stelae and one obelisk. They are mainly made of sandstone with several 20th-century ones being made from concrete.