Slovechne Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. However it can be assumed to have been established no later than the end of the 18th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1798. It is marked on a map from 1890-1910s.
Jews first began to settle in Slovechne (Ukr. Словечне, Rus. Словечно, Yid. סלאָוועשנע) in the mid-18th century. During the 19th century, the Jewish population grew from 444 in 1847 to 885 (56% of the town) in 1897. In 1919, during the Civil War, 60 Jews, including children, were killed in a pogrom at the hands of Petliura’s troops. There were 879 Jewish residents living in Slovechne in 1939.
After the Germans arrived in August 1941, the Jews of Slovechne were transferred to Korosten’ and murdered there, while Jews from nearby villages were killed in Slovechne itself.
The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however the oldest tombstone dates back to 1798.