Skelivka New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Staryi Sambir
Site address
To reach the cemetery site, proceed for about 500 metres in the northern direction from the monument to the Good Soldier Schweik. Turn left to the secondary road. Proceed for about 80 metres. The cemetery site is located on the right of the road.
GPS coordinates
49.54039, 22.96496
Perimeter length
365 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is overbuilt. There is a fire department on the site.
Number of existing gravestones
One gravestone from the site were found on the field. It relates to the 1880s. Its GPS coordinates are 49.54606, 22.96469.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on maps from the early 20th cent. It can be supposed that it was demolished after WWII and later built over.

The Jews began to settle down in Skelivka in the early 17th century. In 1880, 590 Jews were inhabitants of the village. The Jews of Skelivka were involved in trading and crafting. The local community became independent in the late 18th – early 19th century. In the early 19th century, Aharon Itzhak (died in 1860) served as a rabbi. At the turn of the 19th century, the Jewish population reached its peak of 690 (51,9% of the total population). In the interwar period, the economic condition of the Jewish community declined. In the summer of 1942, most of the local Jewish population was expelled to the Belzec death camp through the Sambir ghetto.

3D model