Skala Choleric Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Lesser Poland Voivodeship
Site address
The choleric cemetery is located about 600m south-west of the Jewish Cemetery.
GPS coordinates
50.215741, 19.845589
Perimeter length
139 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
It is a demolished cemetery, located next to the Catholic cemetery. The Jewish part was smaller, but its borders are not clear. There are the remains of an old wooden fence in the cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

In 1894, a cholera epidemic broke out in the Olkusz Poviat. It also reached Skała. Due to the sanitary risk, a separate cemetery was established. It was located approximately 2 km south of the town, in the area of the present-day Ojców National Park in Osicze. There are separate areas for Jews and Catholics in the cemetery. Currently, no tombstones have survived in the Jewish part of the cemetery. In 2005, both quarters were cleaned and fenced with a wooden fence by the Association of Skała Lovers. An information board was also erected in the cemetery. According to the board, the epidemic lasted 51 days and claimed the lives of about 50 people.

The first records of Skała date to the 13th century. In 1257–1259, Duke Bolesław V the Chaste reassigned Skała together with the surrounding land to the seat of the convent of Poor Clares. The town was founded in 1267. The first Jews appeared settled there at the end of the 18th century, despite the still valid De Non-Tolerandis Iudaeis privilege, which was only abolished in 1862. Until the beginning of the 20th century, the local Jews belonged to the Jewish community in Olkusz. In 1897, the community accounted for 417 people (17% of the total population). The first records regarding an independent Jewish community date to 1924. In 1937, 731 Jews lived in the village. By the spring of 1941, an open ghetto was established in Skała, in which between 1,500 to 3,000 Jews were gathered. In August 1942, some of them were deported to the Słomniki Ghetto, and then to the Bełżec extermination camp. The rest were murdered in the town or in local Jewish cemetery.