Sieniawa Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Subcarpathian Voivodeship
Site address
37, Zielona Street.The cemetery is located at the end of Zielona Street.
GPS coordinates
50.18365, 22.60504
Perimeter length
533 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is an iron fence.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The territory of the cemetery is a partly wooded area with bushes and trees and partly a field. The ground is covered with foliage, wild grasses and fallen banches.
Number of existing gravestones
Around 600. Inscriptions (letters and images) on some tombstones have been repainted in black and white colours.
Date of oldest tombstone
1686 (by iajg, no photo), 1699 (
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is an Ohel dedicated to Yehezkel Shraga Halberstam and Nahum Weidenfeld (built in 1978). There are also a few service buildings, whose purpose is not clear.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Sieniawa was founded as a private town before 1670. The official town rights were granted in 1676. Jews were given land to the north of the market square, on the so-called Przedmieście Tarnogrodzkie, where community facilities and residential houses were built. In the second half of the 19th century, Yechezkel Shraga Halberstam, a tzadik, resided in Sieniawa, which resulted in a significant influx of Jewish people. In 1880, among the 3,213 inhabitants, there were 2,278 Jews (71%). In the 1930s, there were 2,500 inhabitants, including about 2,000 Jews (80%).

The cemetery was established approximately 550m to the north-west of the market square, on flat ground. The detailed phases of the enlargement process are unknown. It finally came to possess an area of 1.3 hectares shaped as an irregular polygon. It was partially fenced with a wall. In the southern part of the cemetery, there was a brick funeral house. During World War II, the wall and the building were destroyed, and some tombstones were taken away. Executions and burials in unmarked mass graves took place at the cemetery. In 1958, the area of the cemetery was divided into several plots. After the removal of the tombstones, the southern part of the cemetery was partially built up and partially dedicated to agricultural purposes. The northern strip (along the drainage ditch) was transformed into a road leading to the fields. In 1978, a new ohel with the original matzeva was built over the grave of Tzadik Halberstam. In the 1990s, the cemetery was fenced anew.

About 800 tombstones have survived in the cemetery. There are mainly stelae and stelae with a horizontal block. There is one chest-shaped tombstone with two stelae. The oldest tombstone with a legible date is from 1686, the newest from 1941. The tombstones are arranged in regular rows in the north-south direction and face east. They are mainly made of limestone and sandstone, with the ones that were built later being made of concrete and terrazzo. The 19th-century stelae are richly decorated with motifs with folk art characteristics. The area is covered with self-seeded young trees and shrubs