Shumsk New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located on the crossroads of Lesi Ukrainky and Dobrovins’koho Streets.
GPS coordinates
50.11916, 26.12281
Perimeter length
346 metres. An overbuilt part of the cemetery eastwards of preserved territory is not included in this perimeter.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a concrete fence of one-metre height.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing. The fence is in excellent condition. The ruins of the unknown structures are located adjacent to the cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Probably, there was a beit-tahara on the site of the ruins adjacent to the cemetery
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the New cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably, it was established in early or mid-19th century. According to epighraphic data, the cemetery already existed in 1865. It appears on Russian maps of the 1880s. The preserved territory seems to be smaller than it is shown on the maps of 1880s and 1930.s Most probably, a large part of the cemetery to the east from the preserved plot was demolished and overbuilt.

The first Jews settled in Shums’k in the first half of the 18th century. In 1745, local Jews built a beit-midrash, bath, and stores for lease. The Great Synagogue of Shums’k was constructed in 1781. The Jews of Shumsk were mostly engaged in the grain trade and tailoring. In 1897, the Jewish population stood at 1,962 (86,8% of the total population). Five synagogues existed in the town at the end of the 19th century. The majority of the local Jews were the followers of the Olyka and Trisk Hasidism. The Hebrew school of the Beitar network was opened after the Revolution of 1917. The number of Jewish residents of Shumsk declined to 1,717 (73,2% of the total population) by 1921. The Zionist organizations such as “Ha-Halutz”, “Beitar” and “Revisionitim” were active in the interwar period. On July 10, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied the town, and Ukrainians started a pogrom. In March 1942, a ghetto was established. On August 18, 1942, 1,792 Jews were executed. In September 1942, the last Jews in the ghetto were murdered. Only 15 Jews of Shumsk survived the war.

3D model