Shchurovychi Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on the Austro-Hungarian maps of the 1880s, and the oldest preserved gravestones relate to the end of the 19th century.
Jews are first mentioned in 1570. In 1643, about 80 Jews lived in Shchurovychi. In the late 18th century, the Jewish community emerged. The Jews were engaged in land leasing, tavern keeping and alcohol trading. The Belz, Olesk and Husyatyn-Ruzhin Hasidic dynasties predominated in the town. The Jewish population reached 752 (44.1% of the total population) in 1880. During an 1884 fire, a synagogue was burnt, and later it was rebuilt. In 1900, the Jewish population was 603 (35,7% of the total population). In the pre-war period, the Zionist organizations were active. In 1921, the Jewish population declined to 100 (0,8% of the total population). In 1922, branch offices of the Zionist organizations Ahva and Gordonia were established. In autumn 1942, the local Jews were deported to Sokal and Brody.