Serock Jewish Cemetery
Jewish settlement in Serock began at the end of the 18th century. In 1921, 2,295 Jews lived in the town, constituting 48.9% of the entire population. In December 1939, the Germans expelled all Jewish residents from Serock, most of whom ended up in Biała Podlaska, Międzyrzec Podlaski, Łomazy, and Łuków and were murdered over time.
The cemetery of the former Jewish community in Serock is located about 1.2 km north of the market square, within the boundaries of the village of Wierzbica, on the bank of the Narew River, near Czeska Street. The cemetery was established around 1821-1822. In 1828, there were two buildings in the cemetery, likely ohels for great rabbis or a similar such structure. In 1884, the area of the cemetery was 656.60 square metres, and by 1916, it was enlarged to 1.2 hectares. During World War II, the cemetery was destroyed and deteriorated over the following years. By order of the Germans, some tombstones were used for construction purposes, including for building stairs on the Barbarka Hill. After the war, several plots of land were separated from the cemetery. In the 1970’s, the cemetery was used as part of the “Narew” Holiday Centre and the remains of tombstones were likely removed during its construction. Swings, barbecues, and gazebos were also placed in the cemetery. In 1992, local community activists moved several dozen matzevot from Barbarka Hill and placed them back in the “Narew” Centre. In 2014, the cemetery was fenced and a lapidarium was built with the preserved matzevot. The project was carried out by the United States Commission for the Preservation of America’s Heritage Abroad and the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage with the support of private donors.
The owner of the cemetery is the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage and the cemetery is listed in the Provincial Register of Monuments. A partial list of the preserved tombstones is available at https://sztetl.org.pl/pl/miejscowosci/s/603-serock/115-pamiec-w-kamieniu/31539-cięcz-zydowski-w-serocku-ul-czeska.