Sejny New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Podlaskie Voivodeship
Site address
Cemetery doesn’t have an address. The cemetery is situated in a forested area on the southern border of Sejny and the village of Marynowo. The cemetery area is adjacent to the western side of 1, Maja Street and starts 50 metres south of a local dairy enterprise.
GPS coordinates
54.09582, 23.34551
Perimeter length
475 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
It is a destroyed Jewish cemetery. The area is densely overgrown and some places were impossible to survey. Preserved pedestals of the tombstones are situated in high, dense grass and in the thick bushes, some are totally hidden in the ground. According to the 15 m wide strip of land in the cemetery from the road and the south-eastern corner were leveled during the construction of the water supply system. As a result of these works, it is difficult to precisely delineate this part of the cemetery. There is a monument dedicated to the Jews of Sejny (near the road 663).
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The new Jewish cemetery in Sejny was established around 1830, 1.2 km south of the market square, on the road to Augustów, on a hill. Its history and appearance are unknown. In the interwar period, it was shaped like a rectangle and covered an area of 1.38 hectares. It was devastated during World War II and feel into further disrepair shortly after the war. Later, the eastern part of the cemetery was leveled during the installation of the water supply.

The area has been preserved entirely, but the boundaries are not clear. It is covered with young oak trees and wild shrubs. A dozen or so concrete tombstones have survived in the cemetery. In 2002, the local authorities erected a monument honoring the Jews of Sejny at the cemetery. Any found parts of tombstones (made of granite boulders and sandstone) are placed in the synagogue – the building of which has been preserved. Only one tombstone has been preserved which dates to 1836.