Ryasnopil Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
From the Oschadbank office on 1a, Tsentral'na Street, proceed east for 400 metres. The cemetery is located on the town's outskirts, on the left.
GPS coordinates
47.07236, 31.19388
Perimeter length
773 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery was demolished in the 1980s. The site is now a wasteland and partly overgrown with bushes and trees.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The period of the Jewish cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It is marked on a Russian topographic map of 1917. According to local people, the cemetery was demolished in the 1980s. A local legend says that people who demolished the cemetery became cursed and died from cancer. Recently, a neighbour found ​one gravestone from this cemetery, but was afraid of the curse and buried it.

There is little information about the Jews of the Ryasnopil’. According to local historian V. Labunsky, the son of Ryasnopil’ landlord Gnat Gizhitsky invited the Jews from Galicia for permanent settlement to the town in the 1820s. This meant that the village evolved as one of the trade centres of Odessa uyezd. The Jewish community eventually built a residential quarter, including workshops, shops and a synagogue. In 1881, 105 Jews (25% of the total population) were residing in Ryasnopil’. During the pogrom in March and April 1919, the Jews fought against the attack, which was carried out by the Grigoriev unit. The fate of the Ryasnopil’ Jewish community during the Holocaust is unknown.