Romanivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Near the synagogue, which is located across from 9 Velyka Romanivs'ka Street. To get to the cemetery, proceed 350 metres north from the synagogue.
GPS coordinates
47.441368, 32.949198
Perimeter length
462 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery site is derelict, and is somewhat overgrown with bushes and tall grass.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved. There is one toppled fragment of a matzeva near the mass grave.
Date of oldest tombstone
The only preserved stone is dated 1895
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it appears on an old Russian maps as early as the 1880s. Given the only fragment found dates to the late 19th century, it can be assumed the cemetery was founded in that era.

The Jewish farming colony in Romanivka was founded in 1840, settled by Jews-migrants from Vitebsk. After the arrival of 20 migrated families, two colonies were founded, named Velyka and Mala Romanivka. In 1859, the population numbered 1,088. In 1898, the Jewish population of both colonies increased to 1,283 (99% of the total population). By 1885, a Jewish school and a synagogue existed. In the same year, seven trade insitutions and three industrial were functioning. Later, the two colonies were united under the common name Romanivka. In 1908, a two-year primary school, a library, and a creamery were established. In 1926, 1,563 Jews were living in this colony. The community suffered from starvation in 1933. Under the Soviet regime, a Jewish council was established. In August 1941, the Nazis occupied Romanivka. During an Aktion in September of the same year, the entire community of 998 people was murdered. The few Jews that survived moved to Birobidzhan after the end of WWII. On September 14, 2005, a granite stela was erected to mark the mass grave.

3D model