Rokiskis Jewish Сemetery

Cemetery Information

Panevezys County
Site address
When going North from Vilties street in Rokiškis, at the roundabout, take the second exit and proceed forward for about 400 meters. The cemetery should be on your left.
GPS coordinates
55.95501, 25.57325
Perimeter length
410 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is new metal fence 1.2 metres high with a 3m high gate on the front side. The right hand side is unfenced and there are only old concrete pillars remaining. The wooden fencing on the left hand side belongs to the neighbouring site, as does the metal mesh fence at the rear of the site.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The majority of the cemetery's territory is clear. There are bushes and tall grass along the fencing on all but the front sides. Many tombstones are covered by moss. All sides except the front are unfenced. There are some broken gravestones.
Number of existing gravestones
400. The exact number of gravestones is hard to establish because of high grass.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is a memorial dedicaed to the cemetery. There is a memorial dedicated to the Jewish community of Rokiškis and to the people who died in 1941 (next to the fencing).
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Rokiskis is a city in northeastern Lithuania, comprising about 12 thousand residents. It is likely that Jews began to settle in Rokiskis at the end of the 18th century. The peak of the Jewish population in Rokiskis was on the eve of WWI, when about 3000 Jews comprising 78% of the town’s population lived there. Even before WWII it was still one of the biggest Jewish communities in Lithuania.
Most of the Jews made a living from small businesses and peddling. There were some prominent merchants who controlled the trade in linen, grain, and cattle. Others had wholesale businesses in metal goods, textiles, and agricultural machinery. Before WWI, the merchants imported their goods from Dvinsk (today Daugavpils, Latvia). During the period of independent Lithuania (1918-1940), the contact with Dvinsk stopped due to the new borders of the Baltic states. According to a government survey in 1931, there were 177 businesses in Rokiskis and 89 of them were Jewish owned (76%). But in the 1930s the economical situation of the Jewish business worsened due to the general decline and the growing competition from Lithuanian entrepreneurs, supported by the government. There was a wave of bankruptcies, and many Jewish families emigrated to South Africa and the U.S.A.
The majority of Jews in Rokiskis were Hasidic. Rokishok was one of the few places in Lithuania where there was a center for the Chabad school of Hasidism. Before the First World War, there were two rabbis in Rokiskis , one for the Hasidic and the other for the followers of Mitnagdim. In February 1931, many visitors came to see the Lubavitcher Rebbe who was then visiting the town. Close to the main street, there were three Synagogues: the yellow one was for the scholars, the green was for property owners, and the red, which was the biggest, for the common people. These colors were those of the national flag of Lithuania.
During the Holocaust, the Jews of Rokiskis and its environs were murdered in nearby woods just north of Bajorai village. The official German army report (the Jager Report) states that on August 15–16, 1941, a total of 3,207 Jews were murdered at this place.
One of the famous natives of Rokiskis is Yakov Smushkevich, who in 1939-1940 was the commander-in-chief of the Soviet Air Force, a hero of the Spanish Civil War (nicknamed General Douglas), Hero of the Soviet Union twice and the first Jew ever to be awarded this title.

It is likely that the Jewish cemetery was established as soon as the Jewish community had settled in Rokiskis in the 18th century. About 300 gravestones remain in the cemetery. There are some tabernacles, nicely decorated, in which the local Hasidic Jews used to bury members of their community. In September 2013 a new gate and fence were installed and a memorial stone was placed at the entrance to the cemetery. The monument carries historical facts about the Jewish community. On one of its sides together with the Menorah the sculptor Albertas Jasiunas has engraved a scripture in three languages Hebrew, Lithuanian and English: „Then shall the dust return to the earth, as it was; and the spirit shall returnun to the Lord who gave it. Ecclesiastes 12:7“.