Reni Jewish Cemetery
According to epigraphic data, the cemetery emerged not later than 1830 and has been operating until now. In the mid-1990s, there was a regular caretaker and the cemetery was fenced from all sides. Now a small local community takes care of the cemetery.
Jews began settling in Reni during the 18th century. In 1847, 22 Jewish families were living here. The Jewish population had grown to 730 (11% of the total population) by 1897. At the beginning of the 20th century, Zionist organisations were active. In 1910, a synagogue and a Jewish cemetery were operating. In 1910, the number of Jews numbered 1,018 (11% of the total population). In 1930, their number slightly increased to 1,201. On July 19, 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Reni. In August 1941, around 18 Jews were murdered. The remaining Jews, around 300 people, were imprisoned in the camp and, on October 4, 1941, deported to Transnistria. After 1945, some Jews returned to Reni, and in 2005, the town again had a Jewish population.