Radoszyce Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Swietokrzyskie Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is located in the woods, about 350m from the building No.18 in Wisy.
GPS coordinates
51.084399, 20.2325892
Perimeter length
523 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a brick wall about 2 metres high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
It is a well-kept and preserved Jewish cemetery, with a renovated ohel. The cemetery is very well guarded - it is equipped with several cameras and a gatehouse (closed). Unfortunately, we were unable to access the cemetery due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Number of existing gravestones
According to a local researcher, Sławomir Chwaściński, there are 37 preserved tombstones in the cemetery (as in 2015) – from cmentarze-zydowskie.pl. Due to the impossibility of entering the cemetery, the number of tombstones is unknown.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is a renovated ohel dedicated to the Radoshitz tzadikim, a hassidic dynasty from Radoszyce - Rabbi Yischar Beer, Rabbi Israel Isac and Rabbi Yaakov David.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The first records of a Jewish presence in Radoszyce date back to the 16th century. The development of the Jewish community began after royal privilege was granted in 1635. In 1921, 1,278 Jews lived in the town, which was 38.2% of the total population. The majority of them were murdered by the Germans in Treblinka in 1942. The cemetery is situated on a hill in the village of Wisy, next to the road to the village of Lipa, approximately 1500m north-west of the center of Radoszyce. The cemetery was established before 1789. In 1843, tzadik Isachar Dow Ber Baron, the founder of the Hasidic dynasty in Radoszyce, was buried there. In 1905, the area of the cemetery was enlarged and in the interwar period, the cemetery was surrounded by a stone wall. During the Second World War, the destruction of the cemetery began. The tombstones were used by the Germans and local people as a building material and other uses. On June 22nd 1964, the Minister of Municipal Economy, following the resolution adopted by the Presidium of the National Council in Radoszyce on August 6th 1957, issued an order to close the cemetery. In 1987, the facility was “devastated, completely covered with forest”. Within the cemetery, there were individual fragments of matzevot, excavated graves and scattered bones, and part of the stone wall. At that time, the cemetery was used by the Ruda Maleniecka Forest District. The ohel of tzadik Isachar Dow Ber Baron was rebuilt in 1984. In 2010–2011, the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland, in cooperation with Hasidic communities, fenced the cemetery and built an access road. In 2017, a new ohel was built, the architecture of which resembles the images of the Temple of Solomon. Within the cemetery, there are several dozen tombstones, found in recent years in Radoszyce and surrounding villages. The owner of the cemetery is the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage. The facility has been entered into the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship (No. A.938, August 16, 2018).