Pylyava Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Stara Syniava
Site address
The cemetery is located along the river, opposite the house at 35, Rokossovsky Street.
GPS coordinates
49.60215, 27.44885
Perimeter length
90 metres. The perimeter is approximate.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. The site is used for grazing cattle and poultry.
Number of existing gravestones
2. Gravestones do not have dates.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is not determined. It was not marked on old maps. According to the testimonies of locals, the Jewish cemetery existed and was demolished in the late Soviet period. A couple of gravestones without inscriptions were found by ESJF expedition.

Jews settled in 1780. In 1847, 289 Jews resided in Pylyava. In 1897, the Jewish population increased to 752 (20,3% of the total), and the figure dropped to 619 in 1923. In 1889, two synagogues operated. From 1890, Moshe Shraiman (born in 1861) was a rabbi of Pylyava. In 1914, a pharmacy warehouse, mill and wine store were in the hands of Jews. In the early 20th century, many Jews left for the US. In 1915, the Jews of Pylyava in the US organised a Piliver Podolier charity. In 1925, 107 left for Kherson and organised there a Jewishkolhoz Emet. In July 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied the town. In August 1941, 180 Jews of Pylyava were murdered.

3D model