Pulyny (former Chervonoarmiysk) Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Pulyny (former Chervonoarmiys`k)
Site address
Leaving the village of Yagodinka towards the village of Chervonoarmeysk, drive 180m northeast, turn left and then after 100m the cemetery will be on the left.
GPS coordinates
50.45024, 28.23067
Perimeter length
534 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced, the moat is clearly visible.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is located in woodland, it is partially overgrown. The entrance to the territory is free. Trees have fallen onto some of the gravestones. There is one grave for the victims of fascism.
Number of existing gravestones
There are about 300 gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1911 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2000 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1911. It is marked on the map from the 1890s-1910s.

Pulyny (Ukr. Пулини, Rus. Пулины, Yid. פּולין, in 1935–2016 Chervonoarmiisk or Krasnoarmeisk, Ukr. Червоноармійськ, Rus. Червоноармейск or Красноармейск) had a Jewish population of 1,168 (43% of the town) in 1897. The community maintained a synagogue and a prayer house. A Jewish village Soviet (within a German national district) existed in the interwar period. There were 523 Jewish residents (13%) in the town in 1939. Around half of them failed to flee the advancing German army in the summer of 1941. The remaining Jews were confined in a ghetto and subsequently murdered in December 1941. According to the 2001 census, less than 10 Jewish residents lived in the town.
The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however it is marked on maps dating to around 1900 and the oldest tombstone dates back to 1911. In the 1960s, the remains of Holocaust victims were brought from different locations and reinterred in the cemetery.