Przemysl New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Subcarpathian Voivodeship
Site address
104, Juliusza Słowackiego Street. The cemetery is located adjacent to the municipal cemetery, the entrance gate of the Jewish cemetery is next to the funeral home.
GPS coordinates
49.769951, 22.784798
Perimeter length
876 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a wire and brick fence around the entire cemetery.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is very extensive, some parts of it looks tidy, while the older parts are overgrown. There is monument to the Jews who were killed in 1939.
Number of existing gravestones
1000. According to there are 700 tombstones, according to NID there are over 1000. The traces of assimilation processes, represented by the usage of German or Polish inscription instead of Hebrew,and the development of stonework techniques on the gravestones from the beginning of the 20th century can be followed. The newer matzevot with a modern style, are constructed in the form of obelisks, with decorative barriers. The older tombstones are mostly overgrown with grass and partly demolished, their inscriptions are difficult to read.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

This cemetery is one of the few active Jewish cemeteries in Poland. The cemetery was founded around 1847, after the old Jewish cemetery of Przemysl was almost completely full. There are numerous monuments to the holocause as well as many of the tombstones of the victims. After the war, a monument dedicated “In memory of 4,000 Jews, victims of Nazi crimes in 1939-1944” was erected near the gate. Further into the cemetery, you can find the mass grave of the Jews from Medyka, murdered by the Germans in 1943, and the symbolic grave of the famous social activist, Captain Emil Klausner, murdered by the NKVD in Katyn. In the central part of the cemetery, in twelve mass graves, victims of German executions were buried including Jews from, among others: Przemyśl, Stalowa Wola and Lubaczów. On November 3rd 1986, the cemetery was entered into the register of monuments under the number A-161.