Pryvitne Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located on the main road, opposite 3, Stusa Street.
GPS coordinates
50.63901, 24.74609
Perimeter length
199 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but presumably dates back to the 17th and 18th century. It appears on Russian maps from the mid-19th century. The cemetery was demolished after WWII. Today, the site is a wasteland. The cemetery’s borders can be precisely delineated by villagers.

Jews in Svynyukhy (Pryvitne) were first mentioned in the late 16th century. According to the data of the tax levy, in the year 1700, the Jewish community included 100 families. The community was subordinated to the kehila of Ludmir (Volodymyr-Volyns’kyy). In 1784, 81 Jews lived in this shtetl and, by 1790, there were 23 Jewish houses registered. In 1897, the number of Jews had grown to 629 (35% of the total population). During WWI, many Jews left the town due to its severe destruction. By 1921, only 173 were left in the town. Most of them belonged to the Olyka and Trisk Hasidic branches. By October 1941, all local Jews were sent to the ghetto of Lokachi, where they were murdered on September 13, 1942.

3D model