Prybuzhany Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
12, Buz'ka Street. To reach the cemetery, after crossing the bridge over the Southern Bug from Vosnesenk to Prybuzhany, turn left and proceed for 1.3 kilometres. Turn right and proceed for 180 metres. The cemetery is located on the right, at the hillside.
GPS coordinates
47.53209, 31.34267
Perimeter length
340 metres. The cemetery borders private houses on its eastern and western sides. There are woods on southern side and a village road to the north.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is largely ruined, and its territory is used for cattle grazing. Almost all gravestones are lying along the perimeter or on the territory of residential buildings on the west side.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is a tziyun of R. Itzhak Yoel of Kantikuzva, who died in 1885, erected by the organisation Ohalei Tzaddikim.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

It is unknown when the Prybuzhany Jewish cemetery emerged. It is not marked on any topographic map available. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the late 19th or early 20th century. Local residents told the ESJF expedition that in locals removed the tombstones in the 1970s, using them for their own needs. At the same time, according to local people, a sign on the grave of Yitzhak Yoel of Kantikuzva was installed. Later it was replaced by a tziyun installed by the organisation Ohalei Tzaddikim.

There is no information available about the first settlement of the Jewish population in Prybuzhany (named Kantakuzivka before WWII). In 1897, it numbered 912 (43% of the total population). In 1861, a synagogue was operating. In the second half of the 19th century, Kantakuzivka became a center of the Kantikuzva Hasidic dynasty, originating from Gedalya of Linnitz. During a two-day pogrom, organised by local peasants in 1897, the properties, stalls and houses of the Jewish community were pillaged and destroyed. In 1923, new plots of land were allocated for Jewish settlers in the region. Prybuzhany was captured by the Nazis in August 1941. In the same year, local Jews were executed alongside the Jews from Voznesensk region.

3D model