Probizhna Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
To reach the cemetery, turn into Bohdana Khmel'nyts’koho Street from the main village street. Proceed for about 460 metres. The cemetery is located to the right of the road.
GPS coordinates
49.02621, 25.97794
Perimeter length
549 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1916 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1938 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It arrives on the Austro-Hungarian First Military Survey map of 1780s, and later on the maps of 19th century and 1930s. The earliest preserved gravestone relates to the beginning of the 20th century.

Jews of Probizhna are first mentioned in 1569. In the first half of the19th century, a community existed. By the same time, two synagogues and a cemetery operated. In 1880, 978 Jews resided (41% of the total population). In the late 19th century, many Jews of Probizhna immigrated to the U.S. These immigrants started a charity for their home community in 1904.

In 1900, the Jewish population was 1,207 (42% of the total population) and reached a peak of 1,226 (39,1% of the total population) in 1921. In the inter-war period, the Zionism spread in the town. The youth Zionist organizations such as Ahava, Beitar, Ha-Shomer Ha-Tzair, and Gordonia were active. The Zionist group Beit Am operated a library. Hebrew courses were opened in 1923. In early July 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied Probizhna. In September and October 1942, the Jews of Probizhna were sent to the Belzec death camp and Kopychyntsi ghetto.

3D model