Potelych Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
From the main road, in the direction of Ravu-Russkaya, turn right towards the wooden church. Then, turn right along the hillside onto the stairs, which lead to the monument to World War II heroes. Taking the stairs up to the monument, turn right and continue along the path along the hill's slope for about 200 metres. The cemetery territory is located on the side of the hill, between two wooden crosses.
GPS coordinates
50.20617, 23.55368
Perimeter length
177 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is not available, but it was marked on maps from the 1880s and 1939. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII and was demolished afterwards.

The Jews were present in the town from 1487. The local Jews were involved in petty trade. In 1847, 112 Jews were living in Potelych. The Jewish population had grown to 335 (10% of the total population) by 1900. In the early 17th century, Jews owned 15 houses. David Segal (c. 1586 – 1667), also known as the Turei Zahav, served as a rabbi in Potelych. In 1870 to 1917, Menachem Mendl Landman (1840–1917), the founder of a Hasidic dynasty, acted as a rabbi here. After his death, his son Itzhak (1870–1942) became head of the dynasty. In 1921, 269 Jews (8% of the total population) lived in Potelych, and their number had increased to 400 by 1931. The Jewish community of Potelych was killed in the ghetto of Rava-Ruska in late September 1942.

3D model