Pomoryany Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
From the city centre, drive by Novaya Street, and turn left after the post office building. After 300 metres, the cemetery will be on the right side.
GPS coordinates
49.62741, 24.92689
Perimeter length
364 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on maps from the 1880s and 1939. Presumably, it was demolished after WWII.

The Jews were present in Pomoryany from the early 17th century onwards. In 1628, two taverns were owned by Jews. A Jewish cemetery was established in 1654 after the Khmelnitsky massacres of 1648 to 1649 and the plague of 1651, which claimed many lives of the town citizens. In the late 19th century, a Jewish school was opened. In the late 19th century, Jews owned three mills and 19 of 23 stores in Pomoryany. In 1880, there were 1,910 Jewish residents in Pomoryany (43% of the total population). A Jewish population numbered 1,563 (36% of the total population) in 1900. The Zionist movement gained more followers from the early 20th century. The fire of 1908 destroyed 60 Jewish homes. During WWI, many Jews fled the town and the Jewish population decreased to 799 (24% of the total population). Two synagogues, destroyed during WWI, were rebuilt in the 1920s. In 1942, 1,450 Jews resided in Pomoryany. On October 26, 1942, around 1,400 Jews were expelled to the Zboriv, where they shared the fate of the local Jews. The remaining 16 Jewish specialists, who had not yet been killed, were murdered in July 1943.

3D model