Polonne Old Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located opposite to the house at 72, Akademika Herasymchuka Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Three sides of the cemetery are surrounded by a stone wall of 1.5 metres height. There are two metal gates in this wall on the front and right sides.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing of the northern side. The old and new parts of the cemetery are separated. The new part is well-maintained. The fence is in good condition.
Number of existing gravestones
600. There are also many gravestones' fragments.
Date of oldest tombstone
1761 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
2017 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is a newly built ohel, dedicated to Rabbi Yaakov Yosef, Rabbi Yehuda Leib (died in 1770). The third gravestone in the ohel is broken. There are also three tsiyunim near the ohel, dedicated to Rabbi Shloma, Rabbi Ariye Leib, and Rabbi Abraham (died in 1774).
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but according to the dates on the preserved gravestones it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged in the mid-18th century. First, it appears on a Russian map of 1909, and, later, it was marked on a Polish map of 1939. The cemetery is still operational.