Plyushchivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located at the end of street Naberezhna Street, not far from 25 Naberezhna Street. The cemetery site borders with Mal'tseva Street on its eastern side.
GPS coordinates
47.39462, 32.30426
Perimeter length
483 metres. The perimeter is approximate, drawn according to testimonies of locals.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery site is derelict and is used for cattle grazing
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved. A matzeva fragment was found in the village, next to the monument installed on the spot of the mass execution. The tombstone is dated 1909 and was most likely brought from the cemetery site.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given it appears on a Russian map from the 1860s, it can be inferred it was founded in the mid 19th century. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished in the mid 20th century.

A Jewish farming colony was founded in Plyushchivka in 1809. In 1810, the Jewish population numbered 276. This population grew to 878 in 1859. By 1868, three synagogues were operating. In 1887, 179 Jewish and eight German farmhouses existed. In 1896, there were two synagogues, a Jewish school, a Jewish-owned bathhouse, 20 shops, two taverns, a wine cellar, and a meteorological station. In 1897, the Jewish population reached 2,038 (94% of the total population). In 1902, a new Jewish two-year public school was opened. In 1905, a self-defence detachment was created. Some Jewish colonists’ families migrated to Argentina because of the constant threat of pogroms. In 1912, the Jewish population numbered 2,430 (86% of the total population). During the Civil War period, the Jewish population suffered from pogroms and pillaging. In 1921 to 1922, epidemics and hunger caused deaths among the colonists. A special government committee named Komzet and Agro-Joint provided the colonists with equipment, livestock, and seeds. In 1924, two Jewish elementary schools were operational. In the mid-1930s, the local kolkhoz became one of the richest in the area. On August 1941, Nazi forces occupied the colony. On September 10, 1941, 519 Jews were murdered. In the same period, the old Jewish cemetery was destroyed. In 1961, a monument to Holocaust victims was erected by their relatives.

3D model