Piricse Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Piricse was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1944, the year in which the latest tombstone was erected. The cemetery has not been fenced.
The first Jews settled in Piricse around the beginning of the 19th century. 22 Jews lived in the village in 1840 and increased to 171 by 1880. The Jewish population later decreased. In 1910, 98 Jews lived in Piricse, and by 1941 only 69 Jews remained in the village. In 1944, prior to the deportations, 50 Jews lived in the village. The Jewish community of Piricse joined the Orthodox stream in 1867. They built a synagogue around the mid-19th century. In the 1940’s, in years until the deportations, the Jewish community employed a shochet (butcher) named Sámuel Grosz, who was also the leader of the community. In 1944, following the German occupation, the Jews were taken to the Nyiregyhaza Ghetto and were then transferred to the nearby Nyirgespuszta Ghetto. On May 25, they were deported to Auschwitz. During the war, the synagogue was used as a stable. Eleven survivors returned to Piricse. They did not revive the community and soon left the village.