Pinczow New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Swietokrzyskie Voivodeship
Site address
Adjacent to 18, Grodziskowa Street. The demolished cemetery was located on the plot of land between Grodziskowa and Nowa streets.
GPS coordinates
50.517189, 20.5364084
Perimeter length
68 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The demolished Jewish cemetery is in an urban area. It has been overbuilt with private properties in commercial use. No traces of the cemetery have been preserved, nor have any tombstones.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones have been preserved on the site. Matzevot (mostly fragments) from the Pińczów cemeteries were transferred to the Pińczów synagogue and placed in different parts of synagogue area. Some fragments of tombstones are embedded in the interior side of the synagogues walls. Some fragments were placed in two memorial lapidariums and there are also two piles of very small fragments located at the backyard of the synagogue. In total, there are about 1,000 fragments of matzevot in the wall and around the synagogue. It is not known whether the fragments of matzevot come from the old or the new cemetery.
Date of oldest tombstone
1624 (fragment, likely from the old cemetery)
Date of newest tombstone
1907 (fragment)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery was established in 1831 about 800 meters south-east of the market square. In time, it was enlarged and reached its final area of approximately 1.5 hectares. It is shaped like an irregular, elongated polygon.

During World War II, the cemetery was completely destroyed. The fence was pulled down and the tombstones were used for construction purposes. The Germans carried out executions at the cemetery, and the victims were buried in mass graves. Beginning in the 1960s, the area was gradually developed and a school with a pitch and single-family houses were built there. Currently, there are no traces of the cemetery. After 1980, fragments of tombstones were successively recovered and placed in the lapidarium next to the synagogue. The tombstones from the 19th century and subsequent period are made of local limestone and sandstone.