Piaseczno Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Piaseczno is located approximately 1.4 km southwest of the city centre, on Tuwima Street. The cemetery was probably established between 1866 and 1870, around the same time as the formation of the Synagogue District in Piaseczno. Earlier, the Jews from Piaseczno were buried in Kajetany, 16 km away, near Nadarzyn. During World War II, the cemetery was used for carrying out executions. In 1943, the Germans shot about 30 Jews from Warsaw in the cemetery, as well as Warsaw insurgents in 1944. The cemetery fell into disrepair during and after World War II and a significant part of the plot was built over. Until at least the end of the 1980s, the remaining area with a few tombstones was neglected and became overgrown with dense vegetation. In an unknown year, a monument dedicated to the victims of the executions was unveiled at the cemetery.
In the 1990s, thanks to the efforts of the Foundation of Eternal Remembrance, the authorities, and young people from local schools, the undeveloped part of the cemetery (with an area of about 0.16 hectares) was cleaned up. Currently, there are about 40 tombstones in the cemetery in various conditions. There are mostly sandstone stelae and pseudo-sarcophagus tombstones. The oldest identified matzevah is dated 1889. there is a monument commemorating the victims of World War II at the entrance to the cemetery. The area is fenced with a net, and there is an open gateway. There is an information board at the entrance. There is a sign pointing the way to the cemetery on Pomorska Street. The area is taken care of by municipal cleaning services. There is no information on its ownership status. The cemetery is listed in the Register of Immovable Monuments. The list of preserved tombstones is available at https://sztetl.org.pl/pl/miejscowosci/p/593-piaseczno/115-pamiec-w-kamieniu/27412-cmentarz-zydowski-w-piasecz-ul-tuwima?page = 1.
Jewish settlement in Piaseczno began to develop in the 19th century. In 1921, 2,256 Jews lived in the town (40% of the entire population). In January 1941, the Germans deported all the Jews of Piaseczno to the Warsaw Ghetto. Most of them were later murdered in Treblinka in 1942.