Peremyshlyany Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
15, Shevchenko Street.
GPS coordinates
49.66672, 24.55668
Perimeter length
98 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
There are private houses build on the cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones
26. There are two gravestone fragments located near the memorial sign, one dating to 1748. 26 tombstones from this cemetery, including fragments, were found at the outskirts of the village, laid near the field road (49.66376, 24.5482).
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is a memorial sign to the old Jewish cemetery, as well as marking the burial place of the rabbi Meir the Great from Peremyshlyan (d. 1773).
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is not available. The oldest found gravestones date to the 1720s, which means the cemetery presumably existed in the early 18th century. It was likely demolished after WWII and later built over.

The first mention of Jews in Peremyshlyany dates back to 1581. The Hasidic dynasty was founded in the 18th century. In 1842, a Jewish hospital was opened. In 1875, the first colonisation society of Galicia, which dealt with assisting the resettlement of Jews to Eretz Israel, operated here. Jews were engaged in commerce and crafts in the 19th century. The Jewish population reached 2,706 (63% of the total population) by 1890. By the beginning of the 20th century it had increased to 2,934 (62% of the total population). In 1910, the Jewish community suffered from a fire. During WWI, the town was burnt as well. During the interwar period, Zionist organisations were active. In the 1920s and 1930s, Yiddish and Hebrew newspapers were published. Nazis occupied the town in September 1939, executing around 600 Jews on the banks of the river San. On July 1, 1941, the Nazis re-occupied Peremyshlyany. On November 5, 1941, nearly 400 Jews were executed. On November 6, 1942, about 2,500 Jews were deported to the extermination camp Belzec. A ghetto imprisoning around 3,000 prisoners was functioning from December 1942. It was liquidated on May 22, 1943, when more than 2,000 Jews were executed.

3D model