Penyige Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Penyige was established as early as 1874, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1924. The cemetery has been fenced.
According to the 1840 census, there were already 26 Jewish inhabitants in Penyige. In 1880, Jews accounted for 36 people of the village’s total population of 595. However, the Jewish population steadily declined after that year: 32 Jews lived in the village in 1910, 17 in 1920, and 12 in 1930. By 1941, Jews accounted for 20 people of the village’s total population of 816. The Jews of Penyige were first taken to the Fehérgyarmat Ghetto, and then deported from Mátészalka Ghetto on May 31, 1944, to Auschwitz. There was a synagogue in the village, but it was demolished.