Pechenizhyn Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located behind the house at 7, Hoholya Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery was fenced off at the initiative of the ESJF in 2011.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery are cleared and fenced.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1855 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1940 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There are two ohels on the site. One is dedicated to Rabbanith Sheyndil. The other is dedicated to Rabbi Israel David (died in1896), a son of Menakhem Mendil of Kosiv, and Rabbi Girshon (died in 1940).
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest gravestone relates to the mid-19th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. First, it appears on Austrian maps of the 1880s and later on Polish map of 1939.