Paszab Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Paszab was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to 1901, though later tombstones might have existed. The cemetery was restored and fenced in 2011 by the Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries.
The first Jewish settled in Paszab at the end of the 18th century. 25 Jews lived in the town in 1820, increasing to 50 in 1880. In 1910, the community numbered 71 people, and 55 by 1944. Following differences between the Orthodox and the Maskilim at the Jewish Congress in 1869 which resulted in the Schism in Hungarian Jewry, the Paszab Jewish community jointed to Orthodox stream. In the 1940’s, Rabbi Ede Fried—the rabbi of the Tiszabercel Jewish community—led Jewish religious life in Paszab. Rabbi Fried and most of his community were murdered in Auschwitz. In 1944, immediately after Pesach and following the German occupation, all the Jews of the village were sent to the Nyiregyhaza Ghetto where most of the Jews in the district were concentrated under the most difficult conditions, including hunger, overcrowding, and general shortages. After a few weeks, they were deported to Auschwitz.