Ostrowasy Jewish Cemetery
West Pomeranian Voivodeship
Szczecinek County, Barwice commune
The cemetery is located on a hill, west of the village of Ostrowąsy, about 1.5 km from the Catholic Church. Access is via a dirt road starting between houses in Ostrowąsy at numbers 42 and 45. The cemetery is located in a wooded area about 100 meters north from this dirt road (the road runs through a gorge with the cemetery at the top of the hill).
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery is located in an old deciduous forest on the top of a hill. In the area, there are visible remains of the earth embankment of the necropolis and numerous stones of various sizes. The cemetery is not marked in any form.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery near Ostrowąsy was established probably in the first half of the 19th century not specifically for the Jewish inhabitants of the village itself, but for Jews scattered in many places in the Szczecinek district (Landkreis Neustettin). In 1871, about 220 Jews lived in the county, and in Ostrowąsy itself only 3. A quarter of a century later, there were no Jews in the village, except for the county towns with their own Jewish cemeteries, where only 66 Jews lived. The cemetery is located in the forest south of the village. It is not known how long it was used and from how many places the deceased were buried on its territory.
(West Pomeranian Encyclopedia; http://pomeranica.pl)