Orneta Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Orneta at the former Krickhausener Strasse was established in 1806. It was established outside the city on a rectangular plan. It was devastated by the Germans during World War II. After the war, part of the cemetery was used as pasture. Only a few tombstones’ bases (as of 2009) have been preserved on the area of 0.2 ha. Cows are grazed in the cemetery.
The cemetery is entered into the Voivodeship Register of Monuments.
According to the International Jewish Cemetery Project (iajgscemetery.org) Witold Knercer from Olsztyn surveyed the cemetery in 1992. Here is fragment of his description:
“Access off a public road is open to all with a broken masonry wall. 20-100 gravestones are not in original locations. The municipality owns a site used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. It was liquidated and used for animal grazing and partly as a barren land.”
(Wiktor Knercer, Olsztyn, ul. Barcza 33/16, visited the site June 1992 and completed survey Sept. 1992).