Or Jewish Cemetery One
The cemetery is located on the road between Őr and Kántorjánosi. It is n front of the football field.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The site is partially overgrown and partially ploughed for agricultural use. There is an ownership issue that needs to be checked before fencing can take place.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Őr. This cemetery was established as early as 1865, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1943, when the latest tombstone was erected. The cemetery has been fenced.
In 1828, 49 Jews lived in the village, later increasing to 104 in 1851 and 139 in 1910. By 1941, the Jewish community population had decreased to 65. The Jews of Őr were deported to the Mátészalka Ghetto, and then to Auschwitz.