Olpiny Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Lesser Poland Voivodeship
Site address
In overgrown fields, about 1.5 km south-east of the centre of the village, 500m south behind War Cemetery no. 34. From the south, the cemetery borders on the remains of War Cemetery no. 35. From the Kościół Wniebowzięcia Najświętszej Maryi Panny (Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary) in the centre of Ołpiny, drive south-west for about 2.2 km, then continue about 1.6 km towards the east. The cemetery is to the north from the road.
GPS coordinates
49.7923886, 21.2088275
Perimeter length
353 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fenced.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The area is not fenced or marked as a Jewish cemetery. There are almost no traces of the existence of the cemetery. The area is very overgrown and largely inaccessible. Only one tombstone is visible.
Number of existing gravestones
1. ESJF surveyors found the remains of one tombstone in the cemetery. The date was not legible.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The first records of Jews in Ołpiny date to 1785. In 1870, 477 Jews lived in the village, and 185 in 1921 (about 6.9% of the total population). In 1942, the Germans deported the Jews from Olpina to the ghetto in Gorlice. Most of them were murdered in Gorlice, Stróżówka, and in Bełżec. The cemetery is located about 1.8 km southeast from the centre of the village, among fields, about 400 m south of the War Cemetery No. 34.

The cemetery covers a plot beneath a hill on the north-south axis, shaped like an elongated rectangle. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown, though it was likely established in the 19th century, simultaneous to the development of the local Jewish community. Within the cemetery there is the War Cemetery No. 35, established during World War I by the Military Department of War Cemeteries C. and K. in Kraków. Four soldiers of the Russian Army (Izaak Korgelow, who died on May 7, 1915, and three unidentified soldiers) and two soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Army (Abraham Klinghofer and one unidentified soldier) are buried there. In 1917, a trial was held in Jasło against the shepherds Józef S. and Zygmunt S., who knocked over some tombstones in the Ołpiny cemetery, and painted crosses with feces and charcoal on other tombstones.

The devastation of the cemetery began during World War II and some inhabitants of Ołpiny participated in its decay. The tombstones were used for construction. Almost all above-ground traces of the cemetery vanished. In recent years, local community activists have moved more than a dozen tombstones in various conditions found in Ołpiny to the cemetery. Since 2015, the cemetery has been managed by the AntySchematy 2 Foundation, which has restored tombstones from the war quarters and conducted educational activities for students from the local school. The cemetery is listed in the Municipal and Provincial Register of Monuments and it is not listed in the Register of Immovable Monuments.

Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery
Ołpiny Jewish Cemetery