Olesko New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
To reach the cemetery, proceed for about 980 metres in the western direction from the Saint Nicholas statue (Statuya Mykolaya Chudotvortsya). The cemetery is located on the right of the road.
GPS coordinates
49.96492, 24.87565
Perimeter length
371 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a metal fence of 1.5 metres height.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The territory is slightly overgrown. The fence is in good condition. Presumably, the site was bought and fenced by the Jewish community.
Number of existing gravestones
2 (and about 20 fragments)
Date of oldest tombstone
1794 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel of Chanoch Dov (died in 1884) on the site.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it was marked on Polish maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG) of the 1930s. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to the end of the 18th century.

The Jews of Oles’ko are first mentioned in the 16th century. Many Oles’ko Jews perished during the Tatar raid in 1579. In 1608, a synagogue operated. Hanoch-Genneh Meyer (1800–1884) founded the Oles’k Hasidic dynasty in the middle of the 18th century. In 1857, 461 Jews lived in Oles’ko (17.7% of the total population). The Jewish population increased to 773 (23.4% of the total population) in 1890. The Hasidic court of Hanoch-Genekh Vagshal sat in the early 20th century. The peak of the Jewish population was 832 (20,5% of the total population) in 1910. In the interwar period, it stood up 636 (17.4%) in 1921 and 738 in 1935. During the German occupation, in January 1942, 472 Jews were deported to the Belzec death camp. On March 6, 1943, a Jewish labour camp for about 150 people was established. It was liquidated in June 1943.

3D model