Oleksandriya New Jewish Cemetery
Cemetery does not have an address. The nearest address is 74 Besarabs’ka Street. The cemetery is located on a rocky hill on the outskirts of the city, along the road to the village of Voinovka, adjacent to the river Ingulets.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with seasonal vegetation. And old part of the cemetery is delianeated by a ditches. A new part is located between an old part and the road. Disinterred graves and destroyed tombstones.
Number of existing gravestones
Around 130 gravestones and a lot of fragments.
Date of oldest tombstone
1900 (One local claims to have found a tombstone dated 1827).
Date of newest tombstone
1976 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Commission of Preservation of the Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was founded in the early 19th century. It can be found marked on a Russian map of the region from 1872, a German map from 1941, and the city plan from 2018.
The cemetery is relatively large. According to locals, visitors regularly come to the cemetery with metal detectors. Moreover, the site is often visited by vagrants.