Ochakiv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located between Stepova Street and Olviyska Street.
GPS coordinates
46.62803, 31.56023
Perimeter length
674 metres. The perimeter is approximate.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
On the most of the territory a local road management office is built. Some parts of cemetery site are overbuilt with residential houses, and a small part is used for Christian burials.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

It is known that in 1910, the cemetery was already existing. It is marked on Russian topographic maps of 1917. A resident of Kamyanka village, Georgiy Shuenko, born in 1937, told us that he remembers this cemetery presumably in late 1940s or early 1950s. The Jews of Kamyanka also used the cemetery of Ochakiv. Supposedly, it was overbuilt in the 1950s. Local residents remember the conflict with the builders when construction works were begun on the cemetery site, as the builders were denying the existence of the cemetery at the site. According to local residents, during WWII and for a short period after that, non-Jewish sailors were buried on the cemetery. This plot has been preserved until today.

The exact period of the founding of the Jewish community of Ochakiv is unknown. Jews began settling here from the early 19th century onwards. In 1847, 406 Jews resided in Ochakiv and the Jewish population had increased to 1,480 (13% of the total population) in 1897. In 1856, the town had two synagogues. In 1910, three synagogues and a Jewish cemetery were operating. A private Jewish vocational school was also established. By that year, the Jewish population had increased to 1,650 (16% of the total population). In 1911, four hederim, in which 110 pupils had enrolled, were functioning. In 1913, a chemist’s shop and all four pharmacy warehouses, a bathhouse, three bakeries, two hotels, 72 stalls were under Jewish ownership. The period of the Civil War was difficult for the Jews of Ochakiv: many left the city afterwards, evident from the decrease of the Jewish population to 1,124 in 1920. A canteen for Jewish children was opened with the support of the Jews of Pretoria (Union of South Africa) in 1922. In 1939, the Jewish population was reduced to 377 (5% of the total population). On August 21, 1941, when the Nazi troops occupied Ochakiv, many Jews were able to evacuate the town or were mobilised. On November 5, 1941, 97 Jews were murdered. In 2005, Ochakiv had a small Jewish population.