Nyzhankovychi Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on maps from the 1880s and 1939. It was demolished after WWII.
The first mention of Jews in Nyzhankovychi dates to 1602. In 1860–96, David Geller (1820–1896) served as a rabbi here. From 1896 to 1935, these duties were fulfilled by his son-in-law Yakov-Shalom Herzog (1860–1935). In 1880, 364 Jews (21% of the total population) were living in Nyzhankovychi. The Jewish population reached 669 (29% of the total population) by 1910. By 1921, it virtually dropped to 408 (22% of the total population) after the deprivation of WWI. In the interwar period, ideas of the Zionist movement spread. In 1924, a Jewish library and a drama circle were opened. On June 27, 1941, 16 Jews were executed by German occupiers. The remaining Jewish community was deported to the extermination camp Belzec in late July 1942.