Nyirvasvari 2 Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery is located on Temető Street, inside the municipal cemetery.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
There are two parts of the plot. The eastern part is overbuilt, it is used by the Christian cemetery. The western part is overgrown by trees, but has not been overbuilt.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Nyírvasvári. This cemetery was established as early as 1893, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. It was demolished at an time.
The founder of the Jewish community was the Frenkel family. In 1848 the community treasurer was Léb Frenkel. His descendant Izsák Frenkel opened a shop and a pub in the village, and his son, Samuel, was the representative of the village. In 1941, of the village’s population of 2,229, 54 people were Jews. In 1944, the Jews of Nyírvasvári were transported to the Mateszalka Ghetto, and from there were deported to Auschwitz.