Nyirvasvari 1 Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located south of Temető Street, near to 25, Temető Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a concrete fence, around 2 metres high.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The area is mown 4 times a year. The cemetery looks well-preserved, the grass is mown and the gravestones are clean. Some gravestones have had new plaques installed in the 2000s by the descendants of people buried there.
Number of existing gravestones
42 gravestones were located.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
There is a Tziyun dedicated to Menachem ben Ya’akov.
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Nyírvasvári. This cemetery was established as early as 1847, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1942. The cemetery has been fenced.
The founder of the Jewish community was the Frenkel family. In 1848 the community treasurer was Léb Frenkel. His descendant Izsák Frenkel opened a shop and a pub in the village, and his son, Samuel, was the representative of the village. In 1941, of the village’s population of 2,229, 54 people were Jews. In 1944, the Jews of Nyírvasvári were transported to the Mateszalka Ghetto, and from there were deported to Auschwitz.