Nyirpilis Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery has no address, it is located in the woods southwest of the town. It is around 170 meters north of Ady Street and around 140 meters east from the line of electricity pylons.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a concrete fence, around 2 metres high.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The site is looked after. The grass around the gravestones is mown.
Number of existing gravestones
15 gravestones were visible from the drone survey.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Nyírpilis was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. No legible tombstones—which could supply more information about the years in which the cemetery was active—were found in the cemetery. The cemetery is fenced.
The first record concerning the Jewish population in Nyírpilis dates to the 1840’s when 5 Jewish people lived in the village. Later, in 1880, the Jewish population peaked at 56. By 1941, 33 Jews remained in the village, and were a part of the larger Jewish community in Nyírbátor.