Nyirmeggyes Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located at the junction of Dózsa György and Csillag streets.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a concrete fence, around 2 metres high.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is taken care of; the gravestones are well-preserved. Some of them have been restored from several fragments. There is a Holocaust cenotaph.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Nyírmeggyes was established as early as 1917, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1944, the year in which latest tombstone was erected. The cemetery is fenced and there is a Holocaust memorial.
The synagogue was built in 1828 but has since been demolished. In 1880, the settlement had a total population of 1,328, including 227 Jews. 237 Jews lived in the village in 1910, 196 in 1920, and 139 in 1930. In 1944, the Orthodox community of Nyírmeggyes had 142 members, 22 of whom were taxpayers. The Jewish community also had two employees. In 1944, the Jews of Nyírmeggyes were taken to the Mátészalka Ghetto.