Nyirmada Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Nyírmada was established as early as 1838, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. This cemetery remained in operation until at least 1944, the year in which the latest tombstone was erected. The cemetery is fenced and has an ohel. Overall, almost 200 gravestones were found preserved in the cemetery.
The first Jew settled in Nyírmada in 1721. In 1836, 90 Jews lived in the village, and the synagogue was first mentioned in that year. By 1780, the local Jewish community already had a rabbi, and by the mid-19th century, had a shochet (butcher) and synagogue as well. The organized Jewish community and the Chevra Kadisha (burial society) were established in 1860, the same year in which a plot of land was purchased for the cemetery. They had a relief association, a women’s association, a kindergarten, a cheder school (opened in 1870), a yeshiva (opened in 1899), and a Talmud Torah. Moreover, in 1897, a Jewish elementary school was opened. The original synagogue and school burned down in 1892. In 1944, the Orthodox community of Nyírmada had 437 members, 68 of whom were taxpayers. The Jewish inhabitants were taken to the synagogue and school on April 19, 1944, and then sent to the Kisvárda Ghetto 4 days later. Forty survivors returned after the war. As the synagogue and the school survived, they re-established the Jewish community. In 1949, 54 Jews lived in the settlement, however, by 1957, there were none left.