Nyirjako Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located outside the settlement, leaving it toward Rohod, on the right side on the hill.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a wire fence, around 1.5m high.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The site is in a good condition. The grass is mown, however there are a few trees and many broken stones. Strange holes in the ground were found at the site.
Number of existing gravestones
65 gravestones: 35 intact & 30 fragments or pedestal bases.
Date of oldest tombstone
1872 or 1881
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Nyírjákó was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery was erected in 1988. The cemetery has been fenced.
In 1747, there were already 3 Jewish residents in Nyírjákó. Over the course of a several decades, the number of Jews in the settlement was as follows: 68 in 1848, 106 in 1880, 100 in 1910, 74 in 1930, and 71 in 1941. The Jewish community joined the Orthodox stream in 1869. The Jews of Nyírjákó shared the cemetery and the Chevra Kadisha (burial society) with the Jewish community of Baktalórántháza.