Nyirgelse Jewish Cemetery in Szalmad
There were two Jewish cemeteries in the modern territory of Nyírgelse. This cemetery belonged to the Jewish community of Szalmad and was established as early as 1855, which is the date marked on the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery. No other stones have been found in the cemetery and it has not been fenced.
In 1880, the total population of the village was 1,063, including 130 Jews. Over the subsequent decades, the Jewish population in the village was as follows: 106 in 1910, 100 in 1920, 52 in 1930, and 64 in 1941. In 1944, the Orthodox community of Nyírgelse had 64 members, 10 of whom were taxpayers. The village had no rabbi, though the registrar rabbi was Kisziel Lichtenstein. Nine members of the community were later taken to labour service. On April 14, 1944, the Jews of Nyírgelse were taken to the Nyíregyháza Ghetto.