Nowy Zmigrod Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located in front of 25, Jasielska Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
There are the remnants of an old stone and wooden fence. There is a high risk of forestation. Many of the tombstones are broken or have fallen, many of them are not in their original place. Fragments of different matzevot were piled together. There is a monument on the mass grave of the Holocaust victims that was erected in 2012.
Number of existing gravestones
250. According to sztetl.org the oldest tombstone dates from 1742. Based on the field team's pictures the oldest tombstone found by ESJF dates to 1808. There is an information board at the side of the cemetery, set up by the Society of the Friends of Nowy Żmigród.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The cemetery dates back to the turn of the 16th and 17th century. It was the burial place of the deceased not only from Nowy Żmigród, but also from other places, including Dębowiec, Gorlice, Jasło and Osiek. It can be assumed that at least several thousand people were buried there during the cemetery’s existence.
During the Holocaust, the cemetery became a place of execution. The bodies of the victims were also buried here. The last funeral at the cemetery (of Pinkas Wohlmut) was undertaken in 1955.
On November 23rd 1990, the cemetery was entered into the register of monuments under the number A-1088. Since 2008, the Society of the Friends of Nowy Żmigród have taken care of it.