Nowy Staw Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located at the corner of Wiejska and Mickiewicza streets, next to the school building at 51. Mickiewicza Street. Cadastral parcel no. 220907_4.0006.56/5
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
It is partly fenced with a metal mesh fence. Height is about 1.6 m.
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Demolished, but not overbuilt cemetery, currently an empty field with grass with some scrubs and trees around the borders. The area is partly fenced and very clean. The cemetery is not marked in any form.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones have been preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
By the first half of the 19th century, there was a Jewish community in Nowy Staw, with about 100–120 members. At that time, Jews constituted about 8% of all the town’s inhabitants. In the second half of the nineteenth century and in the first decades of the twentieth century, mainly as a result of migration, the community gradually decreased to such an extent that it was finally dissolved.
In 1890, there were still 76 Jews. In 1937, the community no longer existed.
The Jewish cemetery in Nowy Staw was located at ul. Wiejska. It was established in the 19th century. Currently, there is an arable field on this site.