Nowogrod Jewish Cemetery
Jews began to settle in Nowogród in the 19th century. In 1921, 514 Jews lived in the town, most of whom were murdered during World War II. The cemetery is in the southwestern part of the city, about 750 km from the market square, on the hill at Poległych Street. The cemetery covers an irregularly shaped geodetic plot No. 1048 with an area of approximately 1.08 hectares. The exact date of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, though it is possible that it was established at the end of the 18th century or the beginning of the 19th century. It certainly existed in 1836, when income from funerals was recorded in the budget of the Synagogue Supervision in Nowogród.
The cemetery was fenced before 1939. At the entrance, there was a building, which likely functioned either as a caretaker’s apartment or funeral house. The cemetery began to decay during World War II. In the area, the army established a defense base. Some of Nowogród’s residents contributed to the cemetery’s degradation and used the tombstones as grinding discs and building materials. All of the tombstones were removed, and the land was used for cattle grazing. In 2005, the participants of the Educational Camp of the Lauder Foundation brought a tombstone found in the town and placed it in the cemetery. In 2017, the authorities of Nowogród moved 18 tombstones extracted from the foundations of a private building to the cemetery.
There are currently 20 tombstones made of fieldstone granite, though they are not placed according to the correct burial locations. The cemetery’s boundaries are unmarked and unfenced. Trenches from World War II are visible the top of the hill in the cemetery A few tombstones were secured in the Adam Chętnik Open Air Museum of the Kurpie Region. There is an ongoing process to establish the ownership status of the cemetery. The cemetery is recorded in the provincial records of monuments.