Novyy Starodub Jewish Cemetery
Cemetery is adjacent to a house or located on the territory of the site belonging to it. Drive into Novyy Starodub by the road T1215 from the south. Moving north, drive past the bridge over the Inhulets river. 615 metres after this bridge, take the left turn at the crossroads. Then, in 170 metres , turn left. The cemetery can be found 177 metres down the road, by the first house on the right. Locals refer to the street as “Stolen Happiness”.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is demolished and the site is partly occupied with private homes. There is seasonal vegetation around the site.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
According to a local resident, construction of the street begn in 1979. He was able to confidently identify the site of the former cemetery. Moreover, he indicated that tombstones were stolen by locals for various purposes, and that the act of doing so was not frowned upon at the time. As such, some tombstones may be located in private properties around the village. The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Novyy Starodub rural council, the cemetery was demolished in 1918 by the Austro-Hungarian army and built over at some point after 1970.